----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Ouch

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Monday, December 13, 2004

Ouch

And here I was thinking that no one was reading my blog. How wrong I was. Apparently, my co-workers have been quite interested in what I have to say. Thus, I am fired. Terminated.

It smarts a little, but if I were them, I would have fired me, too. I did not exactly paint a flattering portrait of the company. Perhaps I let my ire get the better of me, but I wrote my feelings and opinions. I guess a little more fictionalization will be in order next time. And there is a lesson to be learned from this: Big Brother is always watching.

I knew I had to find a new job starting January 6. So, that time frame has just been moved up a little. Good thing I have some income from my freelance work. Well, ad astra per asperum. To the stars through difficulty. Onward and upward!

5 Comments:

  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Alexandrialeigh said…

    Astera, I have been reading your blog...and feel obligated to point you to www.dooce.com, a woman who has, sadly, also seen the same fate -- except (I think) it was a bit more shocking to her to have lost her job.

    Good luck! And maybe you should put a counter on your web site, so you can see how many people are reading your blog -- and where they're coming from.

    Some may be coming from me, as I've included a link to you on my site...

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    Oh nooooo. Did this really happen? Was it for blogging about work? Check the archives when you log into blogger; they had something recently about a woman who was canned for doing it as well.

    Good luck; and hey, maybe this'll make you invert the Actress/Writer for hire moniker?!

    (But you'll keep blogging, yes?)

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger Astera said…

    Hey Pink Lemonade Diva,

    Yep, this is what really happened. I was told that "everyone in the company had been made aware of my Web log" and that clearly, [I] had no respect for the company," (which is true) and that I had "taken advantage of [their] goodwill." I was told I was terminated and to pack my things and leave immediately. So I did.

    Yes, the stuff I wrote about work wasn't very nice, but whatever happened to freedom of expression? Oh, well. I was miserable there. I'm sure whatever else I find will be much better.

     
  • At 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Astera, do you wonder if your ex-colleagues still read your blog? Just curious...

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, Astera. I wasn't reading your blog, but I am now! I am so sorry that you got fired. On the plus side, your blog could lead to work. This story was in the New York Times, and the writer/mom is an online friend of mine.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/15/books/15blog.html?oref=login

    I hope you are as lucky.

    Jen, who is not a sorority sister.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home