----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Random Observations

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Random Observations

  • I just spell-checked my last post, and "blog" came up as a misspelling! Isn't it weird that the spell-check dictionary on Blogger.com doesn't even recognize "blog" as a word? The dictionary thought I should replace it with "bloc." Ah, the perils of spell-check.
  • You know how when Little League teams or girls cheerleading teams are caravaning down to competitions they write messages on their cars, like "Go Team!" or "Panthers Rock!" or "We'll probably develop eating disorders in college!"? (Okay, well, maybe not that last one.) Anyway, today I saw a car on the freeway that said, "I love Scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch!" Who writes that on their car? I mean, honestly, people. I know Anchorman was a popular movie, but I didn't realize that it had become a cultural touchstone. And if you have gone to the effort of writing something like that on your car, aren't you just asking to be pulled over and tested for a DUI?
  • I have decided that I am firmly in favor of making people retake the driving portion of their DMV test when they're about 65 or so. Some of these oldsters are a hazard to themselves and others. Today I waited patiently behind a car trying to exit a parking spot. I am the first to admit that I am not a very good parker, but it took this person seven tries to back out of the spot! I mean, he had to do a five-point turn just to avoid hitting another car's bumper. And he wasn't driving one of those ridiculous behemoth SUVs, either. He was in a rich old person's BMW. So, I waited for him to pull out of the space and then I drove very slowly behind him out of the parking lot. But when we turned on to the main road and I realized he wasn't going to push it past 10 miles an hour, that was it. I roared past him on the right. I showed some restraint, though...I did not honk at him and flash my lights, as my husband would have done. That's just rude. Besides, it might have given the poor geezer a heart attack. But really, the speed limit was 35. If you're going less than a third of the posted limit, then you really shouldn't be driving.

And that's what I have to say about that.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:53 AM, Blogger Katie said…

    Astera: I'm becoming quite the fan! Thanks for your comment regarding the geek test on my site. No worries that you didn't score well; I didn't either. Geeks are more techy, so, as writers, I think we fall more on the nerd side.

    Speaking of, I see that you enjoyed Eats, Shoots & Leaves (from your profile). Try Word Freak, by Stefan Fatsis. Soooo interesting!

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Kelly Love said…

    I'm with you on the DMV test for older folks...NPR's This American Life had a show a couple of weeks ago dedicated to Automobiles and that was one of the topics. In Illinois, people over 75 have to take the driver's test once a year. I think that's a great idea and wish every state would do it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home