----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: New Favorite

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

New Favorite

I added a new blog to my blogroll...Tequila Mockingbird. Her post about Banana Republic and its marketing, plus the side tangent about why BR no longer makes pants for girls with hips, thighs and asses, made me laugh out loud.

I don't do a lot of shopping at Banana Republic, but I am a little put out at their sister company, The Gap. Okay, as I'm sure I have mentioned before, I can never find jeans that fit properly. If they fit around the hips, they gape at the waist. If I buy jeans that come up higher on my waist, they cut into my ribcage when I sit down. Lowrise jeans gape at the waist and show off my underwear when I sit down. There's seemingly no way to win. So, I thought that maybe these new Gap "curvy" jeans would be a solution. They're a little better, but the marketing message is all wrong. Check it out on the Web site..."You'll want to try this fit if your waist is smaller than your hips." Wait, what? Isn't that the whole point of a waist? To be smaller than one's hips? Otherwise, we'd just be straight up and down. Like men, or little girls. Is that what Gap wants? Straight lines? Maybe so. Because now they have a "Straight Fit...Perfect if your waist and hips form a straight line." Where are these straight-line women? Do they exist in real life, or is this a market segment that is limited to Paris Hilton and Mischa Barton? Seriously, I'd like to know.

I have not bought any "curvy" jeans. Instead, I bought a pair of size 4 short stretch boot-cut Levi Strauss "Signature" jeans (whatever that means). They don't gape quite as much at the waist, but I think they were mislabled as "short." They drag the ground! Unless, at 5'1", I am no longer just "short." Perhaps, since the rest of America seems to be getting taller, I am now considered "miniature." I have not found any "miniature" sizes yet, although I do sometimes buy shirts in the kids' section. But anyway, I got the jeans at Ross for $10.99, and when I wear them with my boots with heels, they just barely graze the ground, so I guess I'll live with them.

Are there any other women out there who share my plight? If you are short with a small waist and "curvy" hips, let me know if you have found jeans that fit!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    mid-tall, butt-y and small waisted. Jeans are a nightmare. I totally sympathize w/ your plight, Astera!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home