----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: At the Agency

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Friday, September 23, 2005

At the Agency

Okay, you know how in "Entourage" when the guys go in to see Ari, the phones are ringing, people are bustling about, and there's a general air of vitality verging on chaos? My agency is so not like that! Granted, I'm with a pretty small operation, not like CAA or ICM or Endeavor or whoever Vince is supposed to be signed with. But still. I went in today for "visiting hours" just to remind everyone that I still exist, and there was one guy there, sitting at his desk. He said the phone hadn't rung in an hour. If that's the case, it's no wonder I'm not getting any auditions!

Anyway, it was really nice chatting with the guy. I told him I'd just come in to say hello and to see what I needed to be doing differently. He said, "Why do you think you need to be doing something differently?" I said, "Well, maybe I need new headshots or a new look or something, because I'm going out but I'm not booking anything or even getting any callbacks." So he looked at my pictures and said they were good. He said that everything is really slow right now and that I just need to have patience. "We just signed you in February, right?" he asked. "Yes." He said, "Well, that's really not a very long time. It's a small market, and it can take years to break in." Years? Yeesh.

Anyway, he said that unless I felt like I had money to burn (um, no), I really didn't need new pictures or anything. I am going to look into taking an improv class, though, because just being in class makes me happy and makes me feel like I'm doing something. So it's unfortunate to hear that there's no work out there right now, but at least I know that I'm not doing anything wrong. It would be a lot worse if I went in and the agents were like, "Oh, yeah, we haven't been sending you out because we've heard really bad things about your auditions." As it is, I just need to have the one thing I've never really developed...patience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home