----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Congratulations! You've Won!

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Congratulations! You've Won!

I read on interesting article on LATimes.com today about the Internet scams that promise you millions from Nigeria if you claim a long-lost relative's bank account, or whatever. I didn't know that many people would be taken in by such a scheme, but I guess if people want to believe something, they will.

I recently got a scam letter in the mail. Apparently, I am a big winner in the Mercado Lottery International Promotions Program, in Spain. It's all very official. According to the letter, my agent has been buying tickets for me, and I have been approved for a lump-sum payout of 1 million Euros! Unfortunately, "due to the mix up of some numbers and names, we ask you to keep this award from public notice until your claim has been processed and your money remitted to your nominated account as this is part of our security protocol to avoid double claim or unscrupulous act by non participants taking advantage of this program."

Oh! Of course! All I have to do is give my bank account number and my routing number, and the money will magically appear! Then, all I have to do is pay my mysterious "agent" 6 percent of the proceeds. Hmm...I'm guessing that what would actually happen is that once I provide my bank account info, my account will be cleaned out or my identity stolen or something nightmarish like that.

What's even more disturbing is that my agent bought 36,040 tickets on my behalf. I would never waste so much money on the lottery, nor would I authorize my agent to do so! The very idea is outrageous. I do have a copy of the winning ticket, though. The numbers are 19-21-22-29-41, with 3 and 7 as the bonus numbers. I wonder if I should play these numbers in the California lottery or in Powerball or something. Maybe I will win for real!

Check out the Mercados Lottery Board...amazingly, all the winners of this "international lottery" are from the United States!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home