----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Temblor Defined

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Temblor Defined

Yesterday, I put up a post about an L.A. Times headline that said something like "Temblor Rocks San Diego," and I thought "temblor" was an error. Then, Paul pointed out to me that I was the one in error! "Temblor" is corect. Our colloquialism of "tremblor" is wrong. While trying to edit the other post, I accidentally deleted it, but it turns out that the L.A. Times changed its headline anyway...it now reads "Underwater Quake Rattles Coastal Area."

Well, I am glad to have learned something new about the language. I shall never make that error again. See...even copy editors need copy editors!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger Elbo said…

    Glad we got that cleared up. Thanks, A. Maybe "tremblor" is a combination of "temblor" and "tremor"? Or is is just that people imagine things trembling?

    It reminds me of when sports announcers say that a player is trying to get "untracked". They seem to mean that he's getting back on track, as opposed to being derailed somehow. I never quite understood that one, although I admit it's probably a mistake to look to the broadcast booth of a football stadium for proper English. (This person elaborates -- apparently even the NYT uses "untracked".)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home