----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Full of Surprises

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Full of Surprises

We've been married a year now, but Mr. Pink continues to surprise me. For instance, we got in the car this evening, and they were playing "Bette Davis Eyes" on the radio. Mr. Pink started to sing along, and he knew all the words! Then, I asked him if he knew who sang the song, and he said, "Kim Carnes," without even missing a beat. He claims he used to roller skate to that song. Then, he started to reminisce about that other great skating song, "Maneater." Wow! He also told me that Kim Carnes drank a bottle of whiskey and smoked a pack of cigarettes before singing "Bette Davis Eyes," but that might not be true. At least, I hope it's not true. If it is true, he knows far, far too much about that song.

But I guess I shouldn't talk. I am a big fan of Steve Winwood's "Don't You Know What the Night Can Do?" and Glenn Frey's "You Belong To the City." I blame my dad. He was always listening to "K-O-I-T, San Francisco's easy listening station" whenever I was in the car. What are some of your favorite cheesy songs? What did you roller skate to? My absolute favorite was the one I could play on the jukebox at Round Table Pizza, where we had the soccer awards dinner--"Electric Blue," by Icehouse. I wonder if that's on iTunes!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger Elbo said…

    But did Mr. Pink know that "Bette Davis Eyes" was originally a country song written by the great Jackie DeShannon, who also gave us "What The World Needs Now Is Love" and "Put A Little Love In Your Heart"? (More here, complete with rollerskating reference.)

    The only thing I can remember hearing in a roller rink is "The Tide Is High." And I will defend Hall & Oates' "You Make My Dreams Come True," but cannot bring myself to accept "Maneater" as canonical.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home