----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Close, But No Cigar

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Close, But No Cigar

I didn't get the part.

This morning, I woke up early because I was so on-edge and anxious. But I tried to go about my routine, and I went to an exercise class at the gym just so I wouldn't be sitting by the phone. As each quarter-hour ticked by, though, I figured it was less and less likely that I'd get the part. After all, wouldn't good news come quickly?

Finally, at 11:30, my cell phone rang. It only rang once, but by the time I answered it, the display showed a missed call. Is there some secret trick that allows callers to go right into voicemail? Anyway, it was Tom from the agency calling. This is what he said:

"Unfortunately, they're releasing you for tomorrow for the Giants commercial. This is something that happens all the time, and it's our least favorite part of the business. They released five of the six people that they had on check avail. But they liked you enough to put you on the short list! This is just something that happens. Don't get discouraged, and we'll get you booked next time."

So essentially, after seeing probably 60 people for this commercial, the producers narrowed it down to the top six. I made it that far, but I wasn't the big winner. Still, even though I am depressed and bummed out, I have to look at this as progress. It's the closest I've come so far. And maybe Tom's right...maybe next time I will get booked. After all, I must have done something right on this audition to make it to the finalists!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home